Monday, December 15, 2008

Angkor Wat

Really, what more can you say about Angkor Wat that hasn't been said? It is incredible and the Cambodian people have a right to be proud. We saw it from all angles, saw it at sunrise and at sunset, took hundreds of pics (at some point, maybe we'll post them?) were burnt by the scorching sun and are tired and happy... we were as touristy as you could possibly be.

One thing I learned a while back when my bros and I were drinking our way through Europe is that no matter how un-touristy you want to be, there's no way getting around the fact that you need to see St. Peter's Basilica, the Eiffel Tower or Angkor Wat... so we bit the bullet and did what everyone else did... we walked the wats... and you know what? It was worth every second. My next step into ugly touristy American? I'm gonna start wearing a fanny-pack.*

By the way, put this on your short list of life's to do's. And do it fast before they close too much of it to the public...

This is our last night in Siem Reap (and Cambodia) before we head to Vientiane, Laos to see my family. Seven closing thoughts on Siem Ream:

1. Did I mention it is hot? It had to be close to 100 degrees and we were walking up and down temple stairs, mountains, etc for three days.. when we get back to town, we are so completely exhausted that it's dinner, 2 beers and we are out.

2. Today was massage #2. Perfect way to end 3 days of exhausting temple trekking. What's the over/under on how many massages I can get in 40 days? 15? 25? 40? Bring it!

3. The food is good, not great. I miss Saigon food... Pho anyone?

4. Everyone takes dollars here... it's the preferred method of payment... weird.

5. I was watching Asia SportsCenter the other day and one of the lead stories (and the only time I've seen basketball highlights here) was Melo dropping 33 in one quarter. I shed a little tear... Melo all grows up now... Can I really keep a tab on my nuggies from the other side of the world? You know it.

6. Jodi is sick of soccer highlights.

7. Cambodia is a very beautiful country and it's people have much to be proud of. Its progression as a nation is slow and may be in deep trouble in 10-15 years when all the kids here grow up. (reminder, 50% of the population is under 16)... I am very proud that the Matchbox Movement has donated to several families in this country and expect to continue do so with Kiva.org's help. If you are a holiday donor, please keep them in your thoughts this Christmas and in the future...


*I apologize if I have offended any fanny-pack wearers... You have rights too.

No comments: